Monday, October 17, 2011

What I've Read // Big Fish

I have NOT been on top of my 'what I've read' posts at considering I finished this book in July. I even took the photo's in July but never actually wrote the review. All right first things first...YES! I saw the movie before I read the book! Oh the shame! With that said I must admit how surprised I was when the book turned out to be a very short novel & super fast read. I devoured it one afternoon over the course of about two and a half hours. Big Fish is such an entertaining read because the characters voices come through vividly.  My one issue with the novel was that  father was such an unlikeable character for me because of his his restless personality I felt unsympathetic and unmoved during events that very clearly where written to stir up an emotional response. My favorite part of the whole book was the how the same 'near death' moment kept being retold over and over again each time the scene was a little different, it was a very effective way to portray the even the fathers weakest moment is worthy of even 'mythic proportions.'

I purchased this copy of Big Fish from a thrift store, I didn't really believe the cover which has 'Advance Uncorrected Proof' printed across the top because the entire novel is based on the lies and tricks. When I did a little Internet research I noticed that none of the editions of Big Fish features an advanced proof stamp. Isn't that neat? Owning a proof of such an magical read adds to the charm & enchantment of Big Fish. Read it. You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking a few moments of your time to add your own eloquent voice to this topic! I try to return each response I get as soon as possible but If you are interested in a faster response feel free to tweet me at @Eloquent_stones. Have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...